What is a knee brace?
A knee brace protects your knee when you play sports or do other activities like walking the dog or working around the house. If you have had any knee surgery or have injured your knee, a knee brace can provide protection .
Which types of knee braces are available?
There are various knee braces you can choose from, depending on the type of injury and other support goals runners knee brace.
- Knee bands: If you feel pain below your kneecap, a simple knee band (also known as a patellar stabilizing brace) might help in the patellar tendon. The band’s purpose is to reduce the strain on the tendon. They have also been proven to ease the pain of Osgood Schlatter’s disease, Runner’s Knee, and tendinitis.
- Knee sleeves: Although technically not a brace, they are often called one. These sleeves are usually made from flexible materials like neoprene. They are used to support your knees while you do daily activities and prevent minor injuries from returning.
- The hinged: These are typically hinges, bars, and straps. They are used to protect the knee against injury in contact sports (e.g., football, basketball, etc. While still allowing mobility, Also called prophylactic knee braces.
- Functional – This brace serves a useful purpose. It is designed to reduce knee instability following an injury to a ligament. They also reduce the chance of further damages in sports. Many options are available, including a hinge-post strap or a hinge-post shell. These are recommended for those injured and who wish to continue playing sports. They are also recommended for activities that involve a lot of jumping and pivoting, and rapid direction changes.
- Post-op: This is a device that limits the movement of the knee after an injury or surgery. The shells are typically made of a foam liner that covers the calf, knee, and thigh with full-length steel bars at each end. There are hinges at the knee.
- The Unloader is a device that’s specifically designed for knee arthritis sufferers. They take the stress from the knee and redirect it towards the thigh bone for relief. They can be made from foam, steel, or formed plastic. Some doctors may recommend this brace to patients preparing for knee replacement surgery.