Problems paying your Council Tax and other debts

You can able to complain against the bailiff’s chargers, and the amount they are allowed to charge for the council tax debts and the poll tax arrears have been scheduled on Page 5. The prices they are allowed to charge for council tax are set out on the next page in the program.

source: council tax debts

There is a lower fee for poll tax collections, and they have been shown in italics. If you think that you have been charged too much, you can question in writing to the Council and also bailiffs. You can ask the local court to look into the charges for you.

You can find out what is ‘realistic’ by making inquiries on local ways. For example, if you have been charged something like #80 for attendance with a vehicle, and local enquiries indicate you could hire a trailer for a morning for #40 this is manifestly unquestionable, especially as it is likely that bailiffs will be visiting several properties at once, and many companies own their vehicles.

In the first instance, complain to the bailiffs themselves. You can tell them you know their charges are excessive and that you will be taking further action if the costs are not reduced to the levels shown in the schedule.

*You may then question to the council as the bailiffs are acting as brokers for the council. There have been numerous cases which have been taken by the magistrate’s court over specific issues which forced the board to forbidden to make any claims or take any action you can say that the debts have been removed.

* You can apply to the Local Court for the costs to be checked. This is called “Taxation.” The court can look at a complaint over 12 months. They’ll decide if the fees are excessive or not. There’s a fee to pay to the court with this particular application. If the court chooses not to decrease the charge of at least 20 percent, you can be liable for the bailiffs’ company’s court expenses. You need legal advice.