An email filter is an online program which is extensively used to manage and organize the user’s email account into sections and partitions decided by him before setting it up. One essential feature of an email organizer or filter is that it can receive and detect the contents of the mail through a thorough analysis of the links, attachments, and metadata of the letter and rearranging them according to the preferences set by you. It can classify emails based on criteria like work, home, junk, promotions, spam, etc. All these criteria can be used to rearrange your mail and keep it in a more usable and readable format.
Mechanisms used by the program
- The program checks the authenticity of the content being mailed to you and stores it in the “spam” folder if it holds any fraudulent link or attempts to attack your vulnerabilities.
- Some scammers often use IDs similar to that of many government organizations and companies which people might be bound to open. Email Filter thoroughly detects and block any such scam emails from being delivered to you.
- Sometimes blackhat hackers and crackers try to upload malicious programs and virus onto your PC, network, or mail to disrupt its services through the mail. This is, again, checked and stopped by email filters.
- Many organizations intend to upload a payload on your computers and devices which are primarily used for MITM attacks. “Man in the Middle” or “MITM” attacks are surveillance attacks used to spy on your activities, including location data, web metadata, etc.
- It helps in protecting you against harmful ransomware like Tesla, Locky, etc. which harm files by encrypting them and then asking for a fair amount of money before sending the right authenticated encryption fee.
All these methods have specifically been included to protect consumers and customers from all these attacks which can and may take place in the form of malicious emails.